Sunday, June 7, 2015

Event Blog 1

The first event that I attended was the exhibition by Robert Gero titled Infinity Structures: Paradoxical Spaces.  This exhibition was featured in the UCLA Art|Sci Gallery in the CNSI building.  Robert Gero is a perfect example of combining many disciplines to create something unique and powerful.  He combines art practice, philosophy and social-architectural systems in his works.  Upon entering this exhibit I was puzzled, and did not understand what I was seeing.  My first impression was that I was in a dimly lit room, with Styrofoam pieces extending from ceiling to floor
Once there I was able to listen to the artist speak and realized the significance of this display.  The gallery represented infinity, and this work engaged the idea of infinity as an object of math and as a natural world object.  All of the structures were grounded on the floor, but the many iterations of the display continued to twist and distort.  One thing in particular that I really enjoyed about visiting this exhibit was the many ways in which it connected to class.  This work truly embraced the idea of combining disciplines, in this case mathematics and art.  It was fascinating to be able to see this in-person.  Gero describes the exhibit as turning static space into dynamic space, and I agree with this description.  The exhibit engaged many senses.  The atmosphere of the exhibit was also very stimulating with the dim lights, video projections (by Benjamin Lein) and soft playing music (by Randy Greif) in the background.   


No comments:

Post a Comment